Monday 2 February 2009

He Called Me Diosa; 30''x36'', oil on canvas


He called me Diosa, Ix Chel. Maya Goddess of fertility, earth mother, healer. Yet I am just a woman, born of this earth, bearer of children. My shoulders broad representing the strength within me. My body strong to go forward with conviction of soul. . My heart is in Yucatan, I am Mayab in spirit. They have tried to make me forget where I came from, to take away my roots, mis raices but they have failed. It is so easy to get caught up, enslaved in the daily living yet that is only existing. What saves us from ourselves? Who saves us from ourselves? Yo soy Diosa y hembra, Goddess and Woman. Flesh of this earth yet still a free spirit. Touching both, uniting both, living and feeling both. My feet are planted, sembrado in the ground so that my body is fixed, anchored, bound. I am rooted to grow, to produce and I did and I will continue to do so. My spirit is eternally free flowing like mountain rivers, untouched like a virgin forest, reaching for the light of the sun like newly sprouted corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment